Do you need a megastore telling you to #OptOutside?
REI, with $2.2 BILLION in sales in 2014, is a retail monster. They are in the same class as Worst Buy, Gall-Mart and the rest of their ilk.
So, go ahead, REI, give yourself a high-five.
[Readers, support your local, independent outdoor gear shops.]
Better Strategies for REI: Making a TRUE Difference in People’s Lives:
- Donate all profits from Black Friday sales to a charity, homeless shelter, food kitchen, etc.
- For every coat purchased at full price, REI donates a coat to a homeless shelter.
- Instead of Toys for Tots barrels at the front of each REI store; have a Hats, Scarves, Gloves, Mittens barrel to collect for those children less fortunate in their respective cities.
- Have employees take the day off and have option to volunteer at a charity of their choice…and still get paid.
- Open your new locations 100 miles away from local, independent outdoor gear shops.